Combining turmeric, ginger and lemon, “jamu” is a Balinese natural remedy and immune boosting elixir for all sorts of physical ailments. From common cold, heart disease to impotence, jamu is certainly the Balinese answer to any illness (besides temple ceremony and prayer!) Today, we are sharing the Turmeric Ginger Probiotic Mocktail vegan juice recipe with you from the Bali Vegan Cookbook.
The Health Benefits of Turmeric and Probiotic
Turmeric and especially its most active compound curcumjn is known to help prevent heart disease, Alzheimer’s and cancer. It’s a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. It can also help improve symptoms of depression and arthritis. Moreover, turmeric is incredible at removing heavy metals such as arsenic, nickel, cadmium, mercury, aluminum and lead. And the probiotic/kombucha that’s used within the recipe helps balance the friendly bacteria in your digestive system.
The Turmeric Gingerade Probiotic Mocktail recipe is provided by @covitabali. You can find their healthy, no added sugar probiotic drinks in bottles and healthy snacks all around Bali!
TURMERIC GINGERADE PROBIOTIC MOCTAIL VEGAN RECIPE
– Main Ingredients –
Sparking Probiotic / Kombucha – 950 ml (4 cups)
Turmeric Root Juice – 30 ml (2 TBSP)
Ginger Root Juice – 20 ml (1 1/2 TBSP)
Lemon, juiced – 1pc
Sprig of Mint Leaves
a Pinch of Black Pepper
Apple Juice – 50 ml (3 1/2 TBSP)
– Garnish –
– Directions –
- Extract Juice from Turmeric Root and Ginger with a juicer and add into glass. Add Lemon Juice into the mixture and stir.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed. It should taste balanced, sweet and sour, with a slight of sharp flavor of ginger in the background.
- Add in Lemon slices and Mint leaves.
- Let chill in a fridge – Upon serving, top up with sparkling probiotic or kombucha and garnish with slices of lemon, turmeric and fresh mint leaves. Stir well as desired.
You can also:
1) add a pinch of black pepper to activate curcurmin in turmeric; or
2) add 50ml of fresh apple juice to create a sweeter flavor.
We believe that living a vegan lifestyle isn’t just about leaving out animal products in our daily consumption, so learning about how to eat a healthy plant-based diet becomes very important. Therefore, the Bali Vegan cookbook & Restaurant Guide takes the health aspect of going vegan into consideration and includes some of the healthiest vegan recipes.
The cookbook has another probiotic drink recipe from Covita along with 150+ more healthy, original, creative and delicious recipes provided by 60 restaurants around Bali.